A Slow Week but a Good Week
This post is going up pretty late because I was on vacation but I'm back and ready to face the pain . This week was a pretty small haul (for me) with a mere 18 comics, but MOST of them had a gender-diverse creative creative team. Sadly, only the Poe Dameron Annual managed to have more than one woman involved, so while the share of diverse books is up a lot, the overall number of non-cis-men involved is close to the average.
So what's good this week?
- Mariko Tamaki's run on X-23 continues and it continues to be great. It's not the romp that Tom Taylor's run was, but he's doing a pretty good job keeping that spirit alive on X-Men Red.
- This is the last Isola until next year, and boy howdy is that a good book. Michele "M.Sassy.K" Assarasakorn has done a great job on the colors. At least I think so. She's co-credited with "art" along with Karl Kerschl, but I think she had previously been singled out for colors. Regardless, she has some process gifs on her twitter account that will blow your mind, especially if you're not aware of how much a colorist adds to the art on a book.
- Modern Fantasy is out and if you haven't been picking it up, shame on you. Rafer Roberts is writing a hell of a fun story and Kristen Gudsnuk's art just sings. I don't know if it's her or Rafer injecting all the jokes in the backgrounds, but given her solo work on Henchgirl, I have a feeling a lot of it is Kristen. And this week's cover is worth the cover price all by itself.
- Blackwood #4 wraps up the series and I haven't gotten to read it yet so I'm just hoping they left the option for an ongoing or a second volume open. Veronica Fish's art has been wonderful.
On to the bad:
- I didn't get any DC books this week. Sorry, not sorry. I keep dropping their all-male books and they killed Young Animal, so here we are.
- Exiles continues to be great, and the interiors look great, but L'il Wolverine is really off-model on the cover. Also: the creator list is a sausage fest.
- The very obviously-pointless-from-the-beginning Hunt for Wolverine series of min-series is over and while there were some interesting moments along the way, I'm not so much looking forward to the wrap-up book as I am glad that it's over.
I fixed some more bugs on the site and now I'm starting to wonder if I should be adding links to more information on individual books. Let me know if you think that'd be helpful (purchase links? comicbookdb or ComicVine?)!
See you next week!
This Week's Books
- Blackwood #4 - (1+2) 👍
- Brothers Dracul #5 - (1+3) 👍
- Daredevil Annual #1 - (1+3) 👍
- Edge of Spider-Geddon #2 - (1+5) 👍
- Euthanauts #2 - (2+2) 👍
- Exiles #7 - (0+4)
- House Amok #1 - (0+4)
- Hunt for Wolverine: Dead Ends #1 - (0+4)
- Isola #5 - (1+3) 👍
- Marvel 2-in-1 #9 - (0+4)
- Modern Fantasy #3 - (1+1) 👍
- Ms. Marvel #33 - (1+3) 👍
- The New World #2 - (1+3) 👍
- Runaways #12 - (1+3) 👍
- Scarlet #1 - (0+3)
- Star Wars: Lando - Double or Nothing #4 - (0+4)
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron Annual #2 - (2+2) 👍
- Wayward #28 - (1+3) 👍
- X-23 #3 - (1+3) 👍
Titles in bold are new #1s and a 👍 indicates a book with a least one non-cis-male creator. Numbers in parentheses are the total non-cis-male and total cis-male creators.
This Week's Stats
|Gender-diverse Books||13 (68%)||2950 (53%)|
|Non-cis-male Creators||15 (20%)||5229 (20%)|