Back to Bad
Well, the numbers are bad and I should feel bad. A bunch of new and returning series were out this week - nine number ones! Five of those had some gender diversity, but the numbers are grim. I got a couple books I had been thinking of dropping, so that’s on me.
But enough bad news, what’s good?
- Margaret Atwood has a new book out because I guess she’s tired of kicking ass in prose and on TV. Excited to see where War Bears goes.
- Jason Aaron’s run on Avengers has begun its second arc and somebody found some ladies to work on it! I don’t think he noticed my complaints, but Jason if you did, have Sara Pichelli draw me into a crowd scene!
- The first Sandman spin-off/extension/zombie series of serieses kicks off today with Bilquis Evely on art for The Dreaming, and fans of American Gods are probably super confused. (The timeline doesn’t work out.)
- Two more of Bendis’ Jinxworld books are out and both have women colorists. Brian seems like such a nice guy, and I’d love to see him use his new DC imprint to spotlight some more women.
But it’s not all good:
- Books that are fundamentally about women keep getting made by all-male teams: Ant-Man & the Wasp, Doctor Aphra and Paper Girls are all great books, but there really ought to be a lady somewhere on the team one of these days.
- Marvel, the publisher I buy the most from, only managed a gender diverse team on one of the ten books I bought this week. Image went 0 for 4. Aftershock who advertises their diversity on the back of their books, 0 for 2. It’s important to remember that isn’t all of the books that came out, but look at my pull list for yourself - what am I missing?
See you next week!
This Week's Books
- Ant-Man & the Wasp #5 - (0+4)
- Asgardians of the Galaxy #1 - (0+4)
- Avengers #7 - (2+3) 👍
- Batman #54 - (0+4)
- Border Town #1 - (1+3) 👍
- Bully Wars #1 - (0+4)
- Captain America #3 - (0+5)
- Cover #1 - (1+3) 👍
- Dark Ark #10 - (0+3)
- Deadpool #4 - (0+4)
- The Dreaming #1 - (1+3) 👍
- Immortal Hulk #5 - (0+5)
- James Bond Origin #1 - (0+3)
- The Last Siege #4 - (0+4)
- Leviathan #2 - (0+4)
- The Long Con #2 - (3+2) 👍
- Paper Girls #24 - (0+4)
- Pestilence: A Story of Satan #4 - (0+6)
- Quicksilver: No Surrender #5 - (0+4)
- Silver Surfer Annual #1 - (0+4)
- Star Wars #53 - (0+4)
- Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Annual #2 - (0+3)
- The Unexpected #4 - (0+6)
- United States of Murder Inc. #1 - (1+3) 👍
- Vampironica #3 - (1+2) 👍
- War Bears #1 - (1+1) 👍
Titles in bold are new #1s and a 👍 indicates a book with a least one non-cis-male creator. Numbers in parentheses are the total non-cis-male and total cis-male creators.
This Week's Stats
|Gender-diverse Books||8 (31%)||4032 (53%)|
|Non-cis-male Creators||11 (10%)||7157 (20%)|