Let's Get Serious
Okay - what's going on here? This is my first week posting this information on a website instead of as a Twitter thread, and my first week collecting gender diversity information on individual books. That means that these recaps can always have live updates on the totals so you can see how good or bad a given week is, and also if I pick up a book from a given week a few months later, the numbers can be updated.
In each post going forward, I'm listing the current week's stats and the overall numbers, as well as each book and its publisher. In addition, I'm indicating which ones have any gender diversity at all. A pretty low bar, huh? And yet.
The numbers this week aren't extraordinary, but they continue to keep the trend improving. I don't want to dwell on them when I've gone to the trouble to automate all the processing. Let's just bask in the automation.
Beyond that, the highlights of the week:
- Catwoman #2 looks as beautiful as the first issue, but with Joelle Jones and Laura Allred on art that was a certainty.
- Finally got all of the first 4 issues of the Wilds, so I can read it - let's hope it's good!
- Eternity Girl wraps up this week as Young Animal comes to a halt. I really liked this book, and I'm pretty sad to see it go.
- I bristled at the thought of more Sandman (look, I bought it all three times, I'm just ready to move on), but it looks like Neil Gaiman is kicking this off by inviting a diverse group of creators to join him. Fingers crossed!
On to the sausage party:
- I know I'm beating a dead horse, but does Bendis know that you don't have to be a man to draw a Superman?
- Yes, another dead horse gets beaten: still disappointed to see Squirrel Girl on the wrong side of the line.
- Did nobody tell Mike Mignola about Scott Allie? I feel like he's on more books with Mike than Chris Roberson and that's a mistake on two levels.
By next week I'm hoping to have a way of: viewing and filtering all of the raw data, displaying some graphs and whatever other refinements occur to me (actual design instead of 8 lines of half-baked CSS are a maybe). Find me on Twitter or Mastodon if you have suggestions, questions, or quibbles!
This Week's Books
- The Amazing Spider-Man #3 - (1+4) 👍
- Animosity: Evolution #7 - (1+3) 👍
- B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know #9 - (0+5)
- Catwoman #2 - (2+1) 👍
- Champions #23 - (0+5)
- Charlie's Angels #3 - (1+3) 👍
- Daredevil #606 - (0+3)
- Death or Glory #4 - (0+3)
- Detective Comics: Batman #986 - (0+4)
- Domino #5 - (1+4) 👍
- Eternity Girl #6 - (1+3) 👍
- Exiles #6 - (0+4)
- Fantastic Four #1 - (2+7) 👍
- Farmhand #2 - (1+2) 👍
- Her Infernal Descent #4 - (0+5)
- Hot Lunch Special #1 - (0+3)
- Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #4 - (0+5)
- Mech Cadet Yu #11 - (1+3) 👍
- Nancy Drew #3 - (4+0) 👍
- Quicksilver: No Surrender #4 - (0+4)
- Sandman Universe #1 - (4+8) 👍
- Shadow Roads #2 - (1+4) 👍
- Spider-Man Annual #1 - (1+6) 👍
- Star Wars: Darth Vader #19 - (0+5)
- Strangers in Paradise XXV #5 - (0+1)
- Superman #2 - (0+6)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #35 - (0+4)
- X-23 #2 - (1+3) 👍
Titles in bold are new #1s and a 👍 indicates a book with a least one non-cis-male creator. Numbers in parentheses are the total non-cis-male and total cis-male creators.
This Week's Stats
|Gender-diverse Books||14 (50%)||3529 (53%)|
|Non-cis-male Creators||22 (17%)||6240 (20%)|